How do i register for UTR & CIS?

There are two steps. Firstly, if you have not done so already, register for self-employment by calling HMRC on 0845 915 4515 (opening times are 8am-8pm on Monday to Friday, and 8am-4pm on Saturday and Sunday). You will then be sent a Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number.

Secondly, after you receive your UTR number, call 0845 366 7899 to register for CIS (opening times are 8am-8pm, 7 days a week). You will need your National Insurance number for this call.

After completing the above two steps call Amity on 0208 952 8989 and we will do the balance on the phone.

What do I need to register with Amity?

Signing-up with Amity is very easy. Call us on 0208 9528989 and we will take you through the registration process. It should be done in 10 minutes. We will also need a signed copy of your contract with the Client/Agent and some photo identification (e.g. your passport).

If you are registered for CIS please provide your CIS number and also your UTR (Unique Tax Reference No)

How to do I get paid?

On the same day we process your payment, we will email you. We will also provide you with a tax deduction voucher showing your gross payment and the tax deducted under CIS.

You will need to keep this voucher as evidence of tax deducted which can then be set off against your tax liability when your Tax Return is submitted.

How do expenses work?

Amity will help with managing your expenses – simply complete our expenses form or forward us the receipts before completing the personal tax returns. If you prefer to forward the receipts, as opposed to completing the template that would be fine. Any questions please call us.

You may receive a tax refund depending on your individual circumstances.

Do  I need to keep receipts?

Yes, it is very important that you keep receipts for any expenses, including fuel receipts for mileage and for any subsistence during the day. These receipts need to be kept for six years after the Tax Year End.

How much tax will I pay through CIS?

This is dependent on your CIS status, but is usually set at 20% (CIS4) if you have been verified for CIS.

What about National Insurance?

As a self-employed contractor you will pay Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance contributions.

The current rates are as follows:

  • Class 2 National Insurance contributions are paid at a flat rate of £2.70 a week
  • Class 4 National Insurance contributions are paid as a percentage of your annual taxable profits – 9 per cent on profits between £7,755 and £41,450, and a 1 per cent on profits over that amount.

Class 2 National Insurance contributions are paid either monthly by Direct Debit or by quarterly bill. Class 4 National Insurance contributions are paid when you pay your Income Tax.

If your profits are expected to be less than £5,725 you may not have to pay Class 2 National Insurance contributions.

Do I need to do Self Assessment?

Yes, As a self-employed contractor it is necessary to file your Self Assessment Tax Return by 31 January of each year if done online, or the previous 31 October if not submitted online.

Fixed penalties are imposed if these deadlines are not met. The tax you pay will be calculated after you claim your expenses. Amity can complete your tax return for you – just ask for a quote.

What do I do if I wish to leave you or my circumstances change?

Once you have informed us that you are leaving, we will collect all outstanding funds and make a final payment to your bank account.

Do I get Statutory Benefits?

As you are self employed you are only entitled to the income we receive on your behalf; less our fee and CIS deduction. There are no additional benefits offered e.g. holiday pay, statutory sick pay, pensions, paternity/maternity pay.

Am I Self Employed or Employed? How to determine my status?

You have to meet HMRC’s requirements for self-employment on each and every assignment or job you undertake, or HMRC may consider that you’re an employee. It sounds complicated, but we’re here to make it simple for you.

This table should help you decide whether HMRC would consider you to be employed or self-employed.

Please leave this field empty.

Comments are closed.

  • We provide one of the most attractive umbrella service solutions available in the market…..
    As a contractor or freelancer you have the opportunity to take home more of your income…..
    Many self employed people wish to retain that status for the flexibility and freedom it affords…..
    Amity CIS solution is suitable for Self-employed working in the construction industry…..